Doug is a Massage Therapist, Educator and Personal Trainer. A 22-year veteran Professor of the Massage Therapy Program at Algonquin College, Doug helped hundreds of students learn anatomy, physiology, therapeutic exercise, and massage therapy before retiring in January of 2023. He now brings his hands-on skills and passion for learning and helping others to Liquid Gym.
For 15 years Doug had been teaching massage therapy for complex medical conditions, including stroke, when in the fall of 2017 he had a stroke himself. He learnt in his own body what it is like to experience a stroke and fight for as much function and enjoyment as he can in life. He continues to approach the process with an attitude of learning, gentleness, and stubborn determination. He shares these qualities with clients, as well as a lively sense of humour.
When Doug isn’t doing massage therapy at LiquidGym, you may find him learning with other staff and clients or exploring prehab / rehabilitation, and exercise somewhere in the pool or in one of the gym areas.
Some of Doug’s Post-Graduate Education includes:
- Craniosacral Therapy
- Nerve Mobilization
- OnFit Altitude Training (In progress)
- Exercise Physiology: U San Diego
- Fundamentals of Exercise Prescription: University of Connecticut
- Exercise Prescription for Individuals with Chronic Diseases and Conditions: University of Connecticut
- Personal Trainer: Canfit Pro
- Altitude Training Systems Level 1 Instructor Course Certification
- Somatic Movement Educator: Leven Institute
- Founder and Editor in Chief of Journal of Soft Tissue Manipulation: 1998-2008.
BSc. (Biology, 1982)
RMT (Sutherland-Chan, 1985)
Personal Trainer (2022)