PREOPERATIVE REHABILITATION, ALSO KNOWN AS PREHAB
Whether you are going in for cardiovascular surgery, orthopedic surgery, cancer treatments or a simple day procedure, a prehab program may help with your recovery and post-surgical outcomes.
Preoperative rehabilitation is just as important as post-operative rehabilitation. Before going into orthopedic surgery, it is important to understand that your overall health and fitness levels will impact your post-surgery recovery. A prehab program can help prepare your body for all the stress of surgery and help to build your strength to improve your function before and after your surgery.
Surgery often involves an incision into a specific body part, resulting in a loss of strength, movement, and function in muscles surrounding the incision site. Building extra muscle through a prehab program can help maintain your strength and speed up your recovery time.
THE STRONGER YOU ARE BEFORE SURGERY THE LESS YOUR MUSCLES WILL ATROPHY AFTER.
8 BENEFITS OF PREHAB AND WHY IT IS IMPORTANT
- PROVIDE PAIN RELIEF PRIOR TO SURGERY
- INCREASE ENDURANCE LEVELS
- INCREASE MUSCLE STRENGTH
- IMPROVE RANGE OF MOTION
- DECREASE RISK OF POST-OPERATIVE STIFFNESS
- DECREASE RECOVERY TIME
- DECREASE RISK OF POST-OPERATIVE COMPLICATIONS
- REDUCE ANXIETY SURROUNDING SURGICAL PROCEDURES
POSTOPERATIVE REHABILITATION, also known as rehab
Post-op therapy often can be started within weeks of the surgery. If you are planning hydrotherapy generally you can start once the incision has healed, which can be between 15 – 30 days depending on the surgery. Consult with your doctor as to when you should start your rehab.
FOR AN ASSESSMENT AND DETAILED PLAN OF CARE
CALL LIQUIDGYM 613-820-8228
TO HAVE AN APPOINTMENT WITH
ONE OF OUR THERAPISTS!
- Please ensure you have completed your online assessment form before arriving for your appointment.
- Your first appointment is a land appointment. Shorts and t-shirt/tank top are appropriate.
- Bring your physician’s referral, if you have one (though not required)
- Provide any relevant medical history
- Bring any relevant reports/test results (e.g. x-rays, ultrasound scan, MRI reports)
- Personal and family medical history
- Major illnesses that you have experienced
- Surgeries or operations that you have had
- Medications that you are currently taking
- Your level of activity at work and leisure
- Sleeping habits
- Blood pressure, pulse and breathing
- Muscle strength
- Range of motion
- Posture Analysis
- X-Ray review
- Movement Analysis
Is Athletic Therapy covered under insurance?
Some extended health insurance plans cover Athletic Therapy as a benefit. Please check your insurance plan if in doubt.
Can you bill directly to my insurance company?
No. We cannot bill insurance companies directly for Athletic Therapy services.
Does LiquidGym accept Motor Vehicle Accident claims?
No. As of September 1, 2021 we no longer submit nor bill for MVA claims. LiquidGym can, however, treat MVA injuries. You just need to pay our standard therapy rates at the time of your appointment.
Do you direct bill for Veterans Affairs, RCMP, and Canadian Forces?
Yes. If you have Blue Cross coverage through either Veterans Affairs, RCMP, or Canadian Forces, we can bill directly with Blue Cross. To proceed, we require your ID number and the contact information of your case manager, if applicable.
Many patients pay out-of-pocket for Athletic Therapy. At LiquidGym we respect your dollar by providing only one-on-one appointments with your Athletic Therapist. In addition to your on-site treatment, if appropriate, the therapist will provide a self-managed home care treatment program to facilitate your recovery.
Due to a high number of last-minute cancellations and missed appointments, any Athletic Therapy appointments canceled within 48 hours of the scheduled appointment time will be subjected to a $50 cancellation fee per 30 minutes of missed appointment time.
When you cancel your appointment, please inform office staff why you are canceling. This information will be passed along to your therapist.
Appointment reminder emails will be sent out 48 hours in advance.