What is Athletic Therapy?
Athletic Therapy is a health care profession that specializes in the prevention, assessment and care of musculoskeletal disorders (muscles, bones, joints).
A Certified Athletic Therapist utilizes contemporary rehabilitative techniques, therapeutic modalities, physical reconditioning and supportive strapping procedures to promote optimal healing and prepares the individual for safe reintegration into an active lifestyle.
OUR ATHLETIC THERAPIST OFFERS …
- Orthopaedic Assessment– to determine injured structures, biomechanical dysfunctions, and weakness throughout the body
- Therapeutic Rehabilitation Programming– exercise prescription to help aid in the healing or care for both acute and chronic injuries
- Functional Return to Sport/Activity Programming– Strength and conditioning programs that are catered toward a specific sport or goal that mimics the movements and demands placed upon the body for the given activity
- Protective and Rehabilitative Taping– different taping techniques can be used to help support, stabilize, unload and position our joints, bones and muscles in a way that can help with healing and decreasing pain
- Return to Play Post Concussion Rehab– Specific and individualized exercise prescription to help safely and gradually return an individual to sport or activity post-concussion
- Post-Surgical Rehabilitation– guided exercise prescription according to post-surgical protocols
OUR SPECIALIZED LAND AND WATER EQUIPMENT
For sports injuries - Why hydrotherapy maybe a great option!
Water immersion allows individuals to perform movements they may be unable to perform on land. Exercises can be performed with greater ease and less pain due to the buoyancy created by the water.
The upward force of buoyancy counterbalances the negative downward effects of gravity and greatly decreases the impact forces that your body is subjected to in traditional land therapy sessions.
When standing chest deep in water your body weight is reduced by 80%. Therefore, an individual weighing 200lbs on land only weighs 40lbs in the water and the ability to safely perform exercise therapy is greatly enhanced.
- Please ensure you have completed your online assessment form before arriving for your appointment.
- Your first appointment is a land appointment. Shorts and t-shirt/tank top are appropriate.
- Bring your physician’s referral, if you have one (though not required)
- Provide any relevant medical history
- Bring any relevant reports/test results (e.g. x-rays, ultrasound scan, MRI reports)
- Personal and family medical history
- Major illnesses that you have experienced
- Surgeries or operations that you have had
- Medications that you are currently taking
- Your level of activity at work and leisure
- Sleeping habits
- Blood pressure, pulse and breathing
- Muscle strength
- Range of motion
- Posture Analysis
- X-Ray review
- Movement Analysis
Is Athletic Therapy covered under insurance?
Some extended health insurance plans cover Athletic Therapy as a benefit. Please check your insurance plan if in doubt.
Can you bill directly to my insurance company?
No. We cannot bill insurance companies directly for Athletic Therapy services.
Does LiquidGym accept Motor Vehicle Accident claims?
No. As of September 1, 2021 we no longer submit nor bill for MVA claims. LiquidGym can, however, treat MVA injuries. You just need to pay our standard therapy rates at the time of your appointment.
Do you direct bill for Veterans Affairs, RCMP, and Canadian Forces?
Yes. If you have Blue Cross coverage through either Veterans Affairs, RCMP, or Canadian Forces, we can bill directly with Blue Cross. To proceed, we require your ID number and the contact information of your case manager, if applicable.
Many patients pay out-of-pocket for Athletic Therapy. At LiquidGym we respect your dollar by providing only one-on-one appointments with your Athletic Therapist. In addition to your on-site treatment, if appropriate, the therapist will provide a self-managed home care treatment program to facilitate your recovery.
Due to a high number of last-minute cancellations and missed appointments, any Athletic Therapy appointments canceled within 48 hours of the scheduled appointment time will be subjected to a $50 cancellation fee per 30 minutes of missed appointment time.
When you cancel your appointment, please inform office staff why you are canceling. This information will be passed along to your therapist.
Appointment reminder emails will be sent out 48 hours in advance.