Spring has sprung and golf season is officially upon us. From an outside perspective, golf may seem like a leisurely activity, however this is not the case. Golf is a sport which requires a great deal of skill, hand-eye coordination, timing, endurance, strength, and flexibility.
With this mind, ask yourself the following questions before getting out on the links this upcoming golf season:
- Would you like to work towards improving your golf performance?
- Do you commonly experience aches and pains during or after playing golf?
- Have you previously experienced injuries at the start or midway through your golf season which have restricted your play?
- Do you want to improve upon your fitness both on and off the golf course?
If you answered yes to any of these questions, it might be a strong consideration to work with a health professional to help develop your golf fitness for this upcoming season!
What Is Golf Fitness?
Golf fitness is the development and maintenance of the key fitness components required to optimally play the sport of golf and reduce the risk of injury
What Training Components Are Important For Developing Golf Fitness?
- Flexibility Training
- Core Training
- Balance Training
- Resistance Training
- Plyometric Training
- Cardiorespiratory Training
Why Is It Golf Fitness Important?
- It works towards preventing the onset of injury
- It can add speed, power, and control to your golf swing
- It helps build confidence
- It helps you perform at your highest level and reduces fatigue
- It helps you build your fitness both on and off the golf course
- It can improve your overall golf performance
Who Can Benefit From Participating In A Golf Fitness Program?
If you are:
- new to the game
- only been playing a few years
- or an experienced golfers with years of experience
participating in a golf fitness program can help improve your game.
The next time you are T’ing-off – give these Exercises A Try
- Shoulder Rotation
- Shoulder Rotation to Thoracic Rotation
- Backswing Rotation
- Lunge to Thoracic Rotation
How Do I Know What Fitness Component To Focus On?
It is best to first arrange a golf-specific initial assessment with our health professional who has training in golf specific fitness. It is from here that specific areas of strength, weakness, or imbalance can be identified and addressed. Our health professional can then create a client centered exercise program to improve golf fitness based on the findings from the initial assessment.
Contact LiquidGym to see how we can help you improve your golf game and keep you healthy!
Call 613-820-8228 to book your Golf Fitness Assessment
Stay tuned for our follow up blog on a very common
Golf Injury – Golfer’s Elbow and how to treat.
Disclaimer: Exercise is not without its risks, every person should consult their physician before starting an exercise program.
Certified NASM Golf Fitness Specialist